Frequently Asked Questions
How much does it cost?
- My fee is $120 for a 1 hour session (includes taxes).
- I accept cash, etransfer or cheque.
Is the cost covered by my extended health care plan?
- Psychologists and Registered Clinical Counsellors (R.C.C.) are covered on many extended health benefit plans, however, this depends on your company’s specific plan.
- Before you contact me, I suggest you find out two things: 1. Does your plan cover Registered Clinical Counsellors or only Psychologists? 2. How much does your plan cover per calendar year?
- Please speak to your human resources department or consult your benefits booklet, which contains the specifics of your company’s health plan to determine what kind of coverage you have.
- If your plan does not cover Registered Clinical Counsellors (R.C.C.), but only covers Registered Psychologists, you can make a request to your employer that they adjust your plan. This easy adjustment will be of no cost to your employer but will increase your benefit. You are welcome to download the following Insurance Request Form to help you submit your request.
Are you a registered CVAP (Crime Victim Assistance Program) counsellor?
- Yes I am. I have been registered with CVAP for several years. I have lots of experience working with clients who have been abused as children or adults.
Is this covered by my Medical Service Plan (MSP)?
- The cost of seeing a Psychologist or Counsellor is not covered under your Medical Service Plan of B.C. (MSP). Only your medical doctor (GP) and Psychiatrist are covered by the government plan.
Does anyone or anything else cover the cost of counselling?
- Many clients who are self employed or who own their own company are able to offset the costs of counselling against their taxes.
- Many workplaces have EAP (employee assistance program) or EFAP (employee and family assistance program) counselling available for free to their employees and their family members. It is short -term counselling (usually 2-5 sessions). Ask your Human Resources person or your manager to find out if you have an EAP service.
How do I pay for the sessions?
- Payment is required at the end of each session.
How many times will I need to see you?
- This depends on many factors: the type and depth of issue, your support system, your current stresses, your internal resources, etc.
- Many clients come for 3-12 sessions. Others have come for 50 sessions.
Is everything I say kept confidential?
- Counsellors are trained in the ethics of our profession and privacy is a core requirement of these ethics. Everything you say to me is private UNLESS you tell me about a child being abused or about wanting to seriously harm yourself or someone else. In such situations I would only reveal the amount of information needed to help the child, you, or the person in danger.
Contact me at: firstname.lastname@example.org